About Howz - our service
Thank you for ordering Howz.
Howz is a new product we are developing to support people living independently whilst letting those that matter to them know how they are. Howz aims to enable this process without being intrusive, being easy to install and use, and helpful for identifying daily activity.
Howz is not an alarm system, and does not replace the need for visits or healthcare interventions. Howz will describe the daily routine of the individual and detect significant change in that routine, the system users are then responsible for decisions taken based on this information. Howz does not provide medical or care advice at the present time.
The following Terms and Conditions apply to installation of the Howz monitoring system in the United Kingdom.
If you are part of a trial you may have additional Terms and Conditions which will be provided separately.
Installation and equipment
The equipment is designed to be self-installed using a web-based tool, instructions for this will be provided with the equipment. The set-up process also includes access to our app, and the ability to add in people to share access to your information. The Howz support team will be available to provide you with support with this process, and they will also monitor the information collected and notify you if there is a significant change in routine.
Howz does require an internet connection in the monitored site.
Kit may include
- Smart sockets – measuring appliance usage to be placed on regularly used items – kettle, microwave, toaster, hairdryer, or vacuum cleaner. The Howz system will not register the use of low voltage items such as television or lights, other devices such as washing machines and tumble dryers should not be used in this trial
- Door sensor – capturing door opening and closing
- Hub connected to your internet
- Passive infra-red movement sensor – detecting movement past the sensor
- The Howz team monitor the system to ensure it continues to work as expected and to review identified changes in routine
- After 7 days one of the Howz team will contact you to check all is well for the service users. At this point, the system will have identified the most appropriate alert settings and the team will discuss these recommendations with you before setting them in the system
- Should you have any queries during or following installation the Howz admin team are available to contact by telephone during business hours on 0161 226 5353 or email us email@example.com. Always quote your site id on any correspondence to assist us with identification of the site. We will take steps to confirm identity before discussing details about a service user over the phone.
- To the extent applicable by law, Howz excludes all liability for any damage caused to your property during installation of your Howz system. We accept no liability if installation services cannot be provided for reasons which are beyond our control, such as fire, accidents, war, adverse weather conditions, industrial disputes, strikes and lock outs which we are not directly involved in.
Length of Service
Howz is a subscription service and the length of agreement will be specified within your product information or trial details. After any initial agreement period the Howz service can be terminated immediately by cancellation of the Direct Debit. Any non-payment of the Direct Debit will result in a reminder to the payer with one month’s notice of service withdrawal.
Terms and Conditions
The following Terms and Conditions apply to installation of the Howz monitoring system in the United Kingdom.
By purchasing the Howz product you are agreeing to provide Howz with your personal information including a delivery address, contact number and email address.
- The Howz equipment is a self-install system. Instructions for installation are provided with the kit and on https://my.howz.com
- The Howz team monitor the system to ensure it continues to work as expected and to review identified changes in routine
- After 7 days one of the Howz team will contact you to check all is well for the service users.
- At day 8, the system will have identified the most appropriate alert settings and these will be created within the Howz system. You will receive a notification that this has been done, and you may change these alert settings via https://my.howz.com.
- The team will continue to check in with service users or main contacts on a monthly basis via email. If a change is detected, one of the team will contact the service user or main contact to explain the changes identified and make any adjustments necessary with the alerts. This is a good point to consider whether actions need to be taken such as adding in a carer visit or getting a review with your GP.
- Should you have any queries following installation the Howz admin team are available to contact by telephone during business hours on 0161 226 5353 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org. Always quote your order number on any correspondence to assist us with identification of the site. We will take steps to confirm identity before discussing details about a service user over the phone.
To the extent applicable by law, Howz excludes all liability for any damage caused to your property during installation of your Howz system. We accept no liability if installation services cannot be provided for reasons which are beyond our control, such as fire, accidents, war, adverse weather conditions, industrial disputes, strikes and lock outs which we are not directly involved in.
Both the Application and the Content are provided “as is”. Intelesant expressly disclaims all express, implied and statutory warranties, to the fullest extent permitted under English Law, including, and without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Intelesant further expressly disclaims any warranties regarding the reliability, timeliness, accuracy, completeness, availability and/or performance of the Application or Content, or that the Application will be free of viruses or other harmful components or will be compatible with your device or its operating system.
Intelesant may update, modify, interrupt or discontinue any or all of the functionality of the Application or the Content and make changes, corrections and/or improvements to the Application or the Content, at any time without notice to you. Intelesant is not responsible for any costs, loss or damage that you incur as the result of any modification, interruption or discontinuance of any or all functionality of the Application or the Content.
When you Use the Application and the Content, you are solely responsible for:
- Ensuring that you are using the latest available version of the Application;
- Ensuring that all operating systems and security for the Device are the most up to date versions available;
- Any damage to your Device, and any loss or corruption of information that you store in the Device that results from the Use of the Application or Content or the interaction of this Application or Content with other applications or programmes that you may download or use;
- Maintaining the security and confidentiality of any personal identification numbers, account information, passwords and the like related to your use of the Application or Content;
- Maintaining the physical security of your Device; and
- Maintaining the security and confidentiality of Personal Information that you store on your Device.
“Personal Information” is information that alone or in combination with other information, identifies you or can be used to identify you or your personal characteristics, such as your name, contact information or information about your health that is collected and/or transmitted by the Application.
Intelesant is not responsible for any costs, loss or damage that you incur as the result of your failure to meet any of these responsibilities.
When you Use the Application and the Content, you may not:
- Modify, edit, improve, resell, reverse engineer, change or otherwise interfere with the operation of the Application in any way;
- Engage in copying and widespread distribution of Content to the public; or
Intelesant is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to Intelesant from or about the Application for any purpose whatsoever including developing, manufacturing and marketing products.
You hereby release and agree to hold harmless Intelesant and its affiliates, from any and all claims, costs, losses, liabilities and damages of any sort, whether direct, indirect, special, consequential or otherwise, whether arising in tort (including negligence), contract or otherwise, and whether or not Intelesant has been advised of the possibility of such damages, in each case arising out of or related to your Use of the Application and/or or the Content and from any use that Intelesant makes of information that you transmit to Intelesant from or about the Application.
You should always follow the advice from your own medical doctor or other healthcare/homecare provider. This Application does not offer personalised medical diagnosis or patient specific treatment advice.
Intelesant (Howz) provide a service using data from sensors in your home which we share with you via an app or webportal account you have created. We provide a support service through phone or email to provide updates about your installation site and your data. We dispatch sensor kits to your delivery address in order to use our service.
We have carried out a privacy impact assessment for this product in line with ICO recommendations. We are registered with ICO and have a strong commitment to data protection throughout our organisation.
You are the data owner. We are data controllers which means we decide how your information is processed, but we require your permission to collect and use your data. We consider information in 3 parts personal, pseudonymised and anonymised. Personal information means details that can identify you eg name, address, phone number, pseudonyised means a label is used to name your data which does not identify you but we can link to your identity, and anonymised means any personal identifying information is removed from the data entirely including any links.
Our legal basis for collecting and working with this information is:
- To allow us to provide the Howz service and ensure you receive information for the correct site
- To allow us to offer support services via our telephone and online contact
- To enable you to share your information with others as you wish
Information we collect from you about you
You may be registered with Howz directly as the customer for monitoring in your house or as an Important Person.
To purchase (with or without discount coupon) Howz you are required to give us your first name, surname, email address, home address, delivery address, and site address, and a contact telephone number. Your payment details are collected and stored by third party services –Stripe, Paypal, FreeAgent or GoCardless. Howz have no access to your payment details.
To register with the Howz system you are required to give us your email address, create a user ID and a password, and the town nearest to the installed site. You cannot change your username. Howz requires consent to email you directly with any service issues, changes to the system, changes detected in your data, and data summary reports.
The information you collect is your responsibility and Intelesant has no responsibility for or control over the access to the content, information or data that you generate through use of Howz.
If you contact us we may keep a record of that correspondence.
Information we collect about you and your device
Every time you use Howz we may automatically collect information about the type of mobile device you use, a unique device identifier, mobile network information, your mobile operating system and time zone setting.
We also collect details of how you use Howz on the app or webportal.
Who sees your information
The customer service team and clinical leads at Howz will see the information that identifies you to enable us to offer customer support. The Howz technical team will see the data from the sensors, but this does not enable them to see the personal information connected to the data and allows them to work on the system ensuring the data is managed effectively.
The customer service and accounts team will access your personal information to establish and maintain Direct Debits for ongoing Howz services.
Where trials are in place, data collected will be shared with the trial partner using anonymisation or pseudonymisation wherever possible. An additional fair processing notice and/or information sheet will be provided for each trial.
The addition of people to view your account is under your control, we call them VIPs as your information should only be shared with people you trust and who understand why you are sharing your information with them. You are responsible for correctly entering their email address and for checking this is correct before you share your data with them. You can withdraw permission for them to see your data at anytime via https://my.howz.com.
How we store your data
All personal information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. We only share your information through a secure transmission system within the internet. The data transmitted from the monitors in your home contains no personal identifiable information and is encrypted.
A pseudonym is created to enable us to identify your data within our analytics system. This method ensures your data is seen only by those you authorise and that you do not see other people’s information. Your personal information is stored within a system called Zendesk which is fully encrypted and only accessible to those who deal with customer service. Your personal information from the purchase is stored on an encrypted server provided by Nettl and this is only accessible by customer service staff within Intelesant. The link between your site and your personal information is stored on our secure server in a fully encrypted database.
Whilst Howz is open, data is stored on your device. If you backup your device to a service such as the Apple iCloud it is possible that your data might be stored in this service. It is not necessary to back up Howz in this way as all of the information is stored on our own secure servers.
How we use your information for our own purposes
We may use the information you share in Howz to continuously improve and develop our products such as new features, better performance and security. We may also use the information to promote the service, evaluate the impact of the service, and share learning through publications. However, information used for these purposes will have all of your personal details removed, and no-one will be able to identify you from the information they see.
We will not sell or otherwise provide any information that identifies you personally to any third party without your permission or without giving you notice about it in this policy.
Usernames and email addresses
Usernames and email addresses are used to uniquely identify you in Howz. They can be the same as your email address if you choose but do not have to be.
Your username must be linked to an email. This is so that we have a way of contacting you or to help you reset your password if you have forgotten it. Please keep your username and password safe.
Your account can be linked to someone else’s email. This may be the case if you do not have or do not want to have an email address and another person is helping you so that you can use Howz. In this case you must be sure that you can trust that other person with your information.
You can choose to link your username to another email address at any time.
Making changes and deactivating or deleting your account
You may deactivate or delete your account or remove messages from your Timeline by contacting Howz customer service as directed on the www.howz.com website or via telephone 0161 226 5353.
You can remove a Very Important Person at any time.
Whilst your account is deactivated you will not be able to record new entries into the app and you will not be able to open the app again. Your Important People will not be able to see any new information or record new messages.
If you change your mind whilst your account is de-activated full use of the app can be restored to you by contacting Howz customer service as above.
If you request that your account is deleted your account will first be de-activated for 30 days. Once your account is deleted you will not be able to restore it. Account deletion means that all personal identifiable information will be deleted from our systems apart from financial records which are required by law to be retained for 10 years. The pseudonym will also be deleted meaning the data from your site can no longer be attributed to you and will become an anonymised dataset. This dataset will be preserved as it is used for machine learning purposes and will be incorporated into existing statistical calculations and system wide processes.
An archive of information stored within the app will be retained by us in accordance with our retention policy (10 years).
We are constantly striving to improve functionality on this site through technology changes. This may mean a change to the way in which personal information is collected or used. The impact of any technology changes which may affect your privacy, will be notified in this Supplement at the time of the change.
Links to third party websites
If you have questions or complaints regarding our use of your information and your privacy please contact us by email at email@example.com
What if you have a complaint?
How to contact us
You can contact us by clicking here.
Version 4.1 updated May 2018
Terms and Conditions for Sale of Goods
Terms & Conditions for Sale of Goods
In this document, the following words shall have the following meanings:
- “Buyer” means the organisation or person who buys Goods
- “Goods” means the articles to be supplied to the Buyer by the Seller;
- “Intellectual Property Rights” means all patents, registered and unregistered designs, copyright, trademarks, know-how and all other forms of intellectual property wherever in the world enforceable;
- “Seller” means Intelesant, Unit 26 Greenheys Business Centre, Manchester Science Park, Pencroft Way, Manchester M15 6JJ
- a) These Terms and Conditions shall apply to sales of Goods by the Seller to the Buyer to the exclusion of all other terms and conditions referred to, offered or relied on by the Buyer whether in negotiation or at any stage in the dealings between the parties, including any standard or printed terms tendered by the Buyer, unless the Buyer specifically states in writing, separately from such terms, that it wishes such terms to apply and this has been acknowledged by the Seller in writing.
- b) Any variation to these Terms and Conditions (including any special terms and conditions agreed between the parties) shall be inapplicable unless agreed in writing by the Seller.
- Price and Payment
- The price shall be the Recommended Retail Price less agreed discount, unless otherwise agreed in writing between the parties. The price is exclusive of VAT or any other applicable costs.
- The Seller shall be entitled to charge interest on overdue invoices from the date when payment becomes due from day to day until the date of payment at a rate of 2 per cent per annum above the base rate of the National Westminster Bank
- If payment of the price or any part thereof is not made by the due date, the Seller shall be entitled to:
- require payment in advance of delivery in relation to any Goods not previously delivered;
- refuse to make delivery of any undelivered Goods without incurring any liability whatever to the Buyer for non-delivery or any delay in delivery;
- Right of Cancellation (Statutory Right)
Unless one of the exceptions listed below applies, you can cancel your order without giving any
reason within 14 days from the day on which you or a third party indicated by you (other than
the carrier) receives the goods purchased (or last good, lot or piece if it relates to goods or
multiple lots or pieces delivered separately) or from the day of the conclusion of the contract.
You must inform us (Howz, Unit 26 Greenheys Business Centre, Manchester Science Park, Pencroft Way, Manchester, M15 6JJ) of your decision to cancel your order. To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for
you to send your communication before the 14 days’ cancellation period has expired and return
- Effects of Cancellation
We will reimburse all payments received from you for the goods purchased apart from delivery charges, no later than 14 days from the day on which we received the returned goods or you have supplied evidence of having sent back the goods, whichever is the earliest. We will use the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise. In any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of such reimbursement. If reimbursement occurs after the maximum time period mentioned above, the amount due to you will as of right be increased.
Note that you must send back the goods to Intelesant, Unit 26 Greenheys Business Centre, Manchester Science Park, Pencroft Way, Manchester M15 6JJ no later than 14 days from the day on which us you communicate your cancellation. You will have to bear the direct cost of returning these goods. You may be liable if the value of the goods returned diminishes due to the handling of the goods (except when it was necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods).
- a) Exceptions to the Right of Cancellation
The right of cancellation does not apply to:
- the delivery of products which are not suitable for return due to health protection or hygienic reasons if unsealed by you after delivery, or which
are, after delivery, inseparably mixed with other items;
- the delivery of sealed software if unsealed by you after delivery;
- the supply of goods which may deteriorate or expire rapidly;
- Return of Unused Goods
All products from Intelesant can be returned within 30 days of receipt of the products to Intelesant if the products are complete and are in an unused and undamaged condition. The products are to be returned via Royal mail or a courier of your choice.
All goods are sold on a firm sale basis, i.e. the Seller will not take back any goods not required or sold by the Buyer, unless otherwise agreed, in which case the following terms apply.
- Any returns must be authorised by a representative of the Seller before any credit will be given.
- Where the Seller agrees to accept the return of goods that are not damaged the Buyer will be responsible for the cost of carriage and will ensure that they are carefully packaged to avoid any damage in transit. The Seller will not be obliged to accept any goods that are damaged in any way.
- Credit of amounts due or paid in will only be given for goods that are in saleable condition.
This returns guarantee does not affect your statutory rights and therefore does not affect your right of cancellation as described above.
Any description given or applied to the Goods is given by way of identification only and the use of such description shall not constitute a sale by description. For the avoidance of doubt, the Buyer hereby affirms that it does not in any way rely on any description when entering into the contract.
Where a sample of the Goods is shown to and inspected by the Buyer, the parties hereto, accept that such a sample is representative in nature and the bulk of the order may differ slightly because of the manufacturing process.
- a) Unless otherwise agreed in writing, delivery of the Goods shall take place at the address specified by the Buyer on, or as close as possible to the date required by the Buyer. The Buyer shall make all arrangements necessary to take delivery of the Goods whenever they are tendered for delivery.
- b) If the Seller is unable to deliver the Goods because of actions or circumstances under the control of the Buyer, then the Seller shall be entitled to place the Goods in storage until such times as delivery may be affected and the Buyer shall be liable for any expense associated with such storage.
- c) Any damages, shortages, over deliveries and duplicated orders should be reported to the Seller within 14 days of signed receipt to enable replacement or refund.
Risk in the Goods shall pass to the Buyer upon receipt of the goods. Where the Buyer chooses to collect the Goods itself, risk will pass when the Goods are entrusted to it or set aside for its collection, whichever happens first.
Title in the Goods shall not pass to the Buyer until the Seller has been paid in full for the Goods.
- Limitation of Liability
- The Seller shall not be liable for any all loss or damage suffered by the Buyer in excess of the contract price.
- Nothing contained in these Terms and Conditions shall be construed to limit or exclude the liability of the Seller for death or personal injury because of the Seller’s negligence or that of its employees or agents.
- Intellectual Property Rights
All Intellectual Property Rights produced from or arising as a result of the performance of this Agreement shall, so far as not already vested, become the absolute property of the Seller, and the Buyer shall do all that is reasonably necessary to ensure that such rights vest in the Seller by the execution of appropriate instruments or the making of agreements with third parties.
- Force Majeure
The Seller shall not be liable for any delay or failure to perform any of its
obligations if the delay or failure results from events or circumstances outside its reasonable control, including but not limited to acts of God, strikes, lock outs, accidents, war, fire, breakdown of plant or machinery or shortage or unavailability of raw materials from a natural source of supply, and the Seller shall be entitled to a reasonable extension of its obligations. If the delay persists for such time, as the Seller considers unreasonable, it may, without liability on its part, terminate the contract.
- Relationship of Parties
Nothing contained in these Terms and Conditions shall be construed as establishing or implying any partnership or joint venture between the parties and nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall be deemed to construe of the parties as the agent of the other.
- Assignment and Sub-contracting
The contract between the Buyer and Seller for the sale of Goods shall not be assigned or transferred, nor the performance of any obligation sub-contracted, in either case by the Buyer, without the prior written consent of the Seller.
The failure by either party to enforce at any time or for any period any one or more of the Terms and Conditions herein shall not be a waiver of them or of the right at any time subsequently to enforce all Terms and Conditions of this Agreement.
If any term or provision of these Terms and Conditions is held invalid, illegal or unenforceable for any reason by any court of competent jurisdiction such provision shall be severed and the remainder of the provisions hereof shall continue in full force and effect as if these Terms and Conditions had been agreed with the invalid, illegal or unenforceable provision eliminated.
- Governing Law and Jurisdiction
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and the parties hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Returns and Refunds Policy
Thank you for shopping at Howz.
If you are not entirely satisfied with your purchase, we are here to help.
You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
To be eligible for return your item must be unused and in the same condition, you received it.
It must be in the original packaging.
Your item needs to have the receipt or proof of purchase.
If you received a damaged or defective item, we will send you a replacement of the same item
Once we receive your item, we will inspect it and notify you that we have received your returned item. We will immediately notify you on the status of your refund after inspecting the item.
If your refund is approved, we will initiate a refund to your credit card (or original method of payment).
You will be responsible for paying your own shipping costs to return the item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of shipping will be deducted from your refund.
If you have any questions on how to return your item to us contact us on 01612265353 alternatively, via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Warranty Information for Hardware
Howz do not offer a warranty on the on any products contained in the Howz starter pack, this is provided by the manufacturers of the individual devices.
Energenie/ Sandal warranty – electricity clamp and door sensor
Energenie warrants its products will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a specific length of time from date of purchase. Warranty periods vary by product and are defined at the bottom of this document. If the product proves defective during the warranty period, Energenie, at its option, will: replace or provide a refund at the current value. This warranty is valid only for the original purchaser of products purchased from an authorised Energenie reseller or from the energenie4u.co.uk. Except where prohibited by law the warranty is non-transferable. An original sales receipt or valid copy the receipt is required to establish purchase date and original purchaser.
Limitation of warranty
- Connection to a faulty power source
- Alteration, Modification, Disassembly or unauthorised repair
- Improper use of product
- Normal wear and tear
- User inflicted intentional or accidental damage
- Any other cause not resulting from defects in materials or workmanship.
This Warranty is void if any manufacturer labels or stickers have been removed or altered, or if any counterfeit labels are found on the product. Any counterfeit products are excluded from warranty and will only be returned at the expense of the sender.
This warranty is valid for a minimum of 12 months, however individual products warranties will vary.
Efergy/Hildebrand – hub and multi-sensor
Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage.
You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.